View Single Post

Old 08-12-2018, 04:30 AM
p45cal p45cal is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Expert

p45cal has a reputation beyond reputep45cal has a reputation beyond reputep45cal has a reputation beyond reputep45cal has a reputation beyond reputep45cal has a reputation beyond reputep45cal has a reputation beyond reputep45cal has a reputation beyond reputep45cal has a reputation beyond reputep45cal has a reputation beyond reputep45cal has a reputation beyond reputep45cal has a reputation beyond repute

In the file that I atached, I seem to have accidentally deleted cell A1 of the EditMe sheet; previous files show that there should be 720 in that cell. This means that any subsequent sort based on column A would put that empty cell's row to the bottom. It looks as if this was happening at the same time as your sort after entering ASTRO CHAS, so one row moved down to the bottom (meaning everything moved up a row) and your new row inserted itself above the other ASTRO entries, means that everything below that moved down a row, which results in everything below your new entry staying in the same place!

As an exercise, take that workbook afresh from the internet, reinstate the 720 in cell A1 of the EditMe sheet, sort it straightaway, then check where things appear in the PrintMe sheet.
Now add your ASTRO CHAS at the botttom of the EditMe sheet and sort it again, then once again review where things appear on the PrintMe sheet and I think you'll find it's behaving as you want it to.

As far as sorting goes, how you sort is up to you, whether you sort by column A then column B, or by column A only. What's important is that whichever method of sorting you choose, both columns A & B should be highlighted (this will be the default if you have any single cell selected in the EditMe list when you go to sort - Excel will highlight the lot). This ensures that when the sort happens, data in one cell will follow its neighbour (left or right).