View Single Post

Old 02-27-2018, 07:17 PM
PMH PMH is offline Windows 8 Office 2007
Novice

PMH is on a distinguished road

The two see each other just fine on the network, but do not always display each other's C: drives. Sometimes the connection is fine, more often it is not but the read-only problem is a constant. By transferring files I meant via the home network through the Wifi router. Even when neither can see the other, connecting to the internet is not a problem. This has always been a snap with earlier laptops & earlier desktops. The two also show Homegroup categories for each other (but not always those categories' contents) but the same sporadic connections issues apply. Even when there's a good connection, the read-only problem persists. And each has been configured as a trusted source for the other. And if I run the troubleshooter on either machine, it reports "the network seems configured correctly but [the other machine] is not responding."

Is it possible this read-only problem is because I am still in the free month of Office 2016 even though I have elected for automatic renewal at the trial period's end? I only bought this laptop 2½ weeks ago; Office was activated in the first day or two.

Further on how home network seems involved in read-only: networking problem goes away if SMB1 is disabled. Most files transferred in either direction are just fine and can be edited if needed. But File Explorer on the laptop displays directories/folders that are not marked on the PC as shared. Files can be transferred from these sources also, but they are the ones that remain read-only. Need now how to figure not letting them show as "shared" resources when they really aren't.