View Single Post

Old 02-14-2018, 07:20 AM
ksor ksor is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Advanced Beginner

ksor is on a distinguished road
Default Managing shapes in a WorkSheet ?

As a part of a genealogy system I want to manipulate the shapes in a family tree.

The rectangles for the PERSONs are named by a PersonID - in the attaced file 29,36 for father and mother and 37,51 for the children.

The triangle representing the couple is named "29+36" - the Id of the father and the mother.

I have not given the arrows names/ID's - I don't even know if I can give them names ... but I've given them some TIPs to show that couples are married and they get some children - the code is all there, take a look !

There are code to create the rectangles for the persons, but it's done automaticly from Access by running the Sub showPerson(...).

Too there are code to move shapes up/down/left/right and a lot of other sub's - just take a look in the VBA section.

There are code to move selected shapes too - BUT I've experienced it's no good idea to select ARROWS for moving - they often loose the connection to the begin/ending points !

I want to be able BY VBA to select a bunch of shapes by just calling a sub - something like:

selectBunchFrom( < name/ID of an arrow > )

In the attached file there is an arrow from a (not shown) ancestor to the Person Id=29 and by calling the sub with that arrow as argument I want to select the 4 rectangles and the triangle - NOT THE ARROWS !

I think someone here can reveal the code for traversing the "kind of tree structure" represented at the end of the arrow from the not shown ancestor.

Hope you understand my explanation ... and want to take the challange ... I simply CAN'T figure out how it's done !
Attached Files
File Type: xlsm TestTREE.xlsm (40.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by ksor; 02-14-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: EDIT: Maybe it should been in the VBA part instead