View Single Post

Old 02-12-2018, 05:59 AM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows 10 Office 2013

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by John9210 View Post
I created a template (dotm) and stored it in the Startup folder, but it does not load. I double checked to make sure that the folder is trusted. Is there something else I have to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John9210 View Post
By not loaded I mean the page is blank when I start Word. The custom page I created in the Startup folder template does not appear. Only a blank page appears. I know it's in the Startup Folder because I first checked it's location in Options/Advanced/File Locations.***
Without further work, a template in the Startup Folder is loaded as a global template. Yours is "loaded." It takes macros in the template to make it become the default basis for new documents. When a template is loaded as an Add-In, it becomes a secondary global template. It is not the Attached template for the open document absent special code. One example of such code is in the sample Add-Ins, another example can be found at A Global StyleSheet in Microsoft Word?

Under the Developer Tab, you can see the button for Document Template. That opens the legacy Templates and Add-Ins dialog. In that dialog, you can see which template is the attached template for the active document as well as any loaded template Add-Ins (global templates). That dialog is the easiest way to see if a template has been loaded on your system.

Attaching a different template does not change any document content directly. The way to get layout and text from a template into a document is generally to create a new document based on the template, not to attach it to an existing document.

The sample Add-Ins are designed to create new documents based on a specified template other than the normal template.

Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 02-12-2018 at 02:01 PM.