View Single Post

Old 01-08-2018, 04:36 PM
ghampton ghampton is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2013
Novice

ghampton is on a distinguished road

I guess I need to be more specific. I am only after one thing. I have this in a word booklet docx (properly formatted, of course) with a SQL Server data source, which works just fine for quite a few pages.

DIRECTORY

Company Address Atascosa, TX zip
Company 2 Address Atascosa, TX zip
Company 3 Address San Antonio, TX zip
Company 4 Address San Antonio, TX zip
Company 5 Address San Antonio, TX zip
Company 6 Address San Antonio, TX zip
Company 727 Address Von Ormy, TX zip

The problem is, that I need to add the city name to the left (as indicated) if it is first time for the city or is different from the previous city.

Here is what the output should look like:
Atascosa
Company Address Atascosa, TX zip
Company 2 Address Atascosa, TX zip
San Antonio
Company 3 Address San Antonio, TX zip
Company 4 Address San Antonio, TX zip
Company 5 Address San Antonio, TX zip
Company 6 Address San Antonio, TX zip
Von Ormy
Company 727 Address Von Ormy, TX zip

I have tried a few iterations but the merge came out incomplete or gave different results. Which is based on your tutorial. I guess the other items you have in it, along with the different naming conventions and other problems you addressed just doesn't address this simple item.

I forgot to mention that I am a programmer, asp and .net, formerly cobol, natural 2, jcl. But WordMerge (What is the language?) is a little confusing for me, primarily because I don't understand the syntax.

If you could answer my question here, it will really help with the rest of it. I just need to understand the syntax as it applies here in this part, leaving out all the rest. Just how to make the City work.

Understanding this part will go a long way to helping me with the rest of it.

Thanks for responding. I hope you will again.