View Single Post

Old 10-20-2017, 11:57 AM
mattfromcanada mattfromcanada is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2016
Novice

mattfromcanada is on a distinguished road
Default Budget Resources / Budget Costs / Hourly Labour

I知 newer to the MS Project scene, particularly to working with resources. I recently was upgraded to MS Project 2016 from MS Project 2000 via server access (yep) so I知 playing catch-up. I work in offsite / pre-fabricated construction, and as the PM I receive the project estimate at the front end. This will include fixed costs (i.e. sub-trade quotes for HVAC / Transport / Electrical) and unit rate costs such as wall framing, flooring install on a Lnft / Sqft rate. Basically all your carpentry type items. When it comes to these Unit Rate items, we either 1) compile a Purchase Order to a sub-contractor (i.e. framer) and essentially this becomes a fixed costs, or our in-house labour would complete the work, which would be done on an hourly basis. When we do issue to a sub-contractor, the costs will be fixed whether it takes them 5 days or 10 days. However, when we do it in-house it痴 less cut & dry. It then becomes an issue of how many man hours we致e completed in house. What I知 trying to do is assign the total amount from the estimate (i.e. the estimate allowed a budget of $1000 to install the ceiling grid/tile) to that line-item on the schedule, and then assign the plant hourly resource at say $50 / hr. Essentially, creating a cost pool that our staff can draw from, and be tracked. I知 hoping it would forecast how much I have remaining from the $1000 based upon the duration. For example, at 8hrs a day, and $50 / hr, I would have 20 hours to complete the work, so if I致e assigned (2) * hr days, I should have $200 left over. Long winded now, so I知 hoping I can get a springboard to start this. As we have a lot of repeat / similar projects, I知 hoping I can come up with a template that would be fairly versatile to my ongoing projects.