View Single Post

Old 09-27-2017, 10:04 AM
BarbF BarbF is offline Windows 10 Office 2003
Novice

BarbF is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Rats. Just when I thought I could be at peace with Microsoft

Oh my gosh, just when I think I'm going to be back in control of my computer/MS Office Suite, I learn from your reply that I'm not. I'm not sure if I hate my new computer now which has stuck me with Windows 10 or if I just hate Microsoft...arrrgh. I'm 68 years old and only use their suite of programs for fun. Frankly, now that I'm kicked back and retired, I don't want to learn new applications or understand what the hell cloud storage is--and when I'm writing to a friend at 3 a.m. because I can't sleep, I sure as heck don't want to collaborate with anyone. I just want to use what I have and already know. I sat in front of a computer working for over 40 years and now that I'm finally retired, I want to play outside!

I kind of picture Microsoft as a huge store. I hate shopping--I want to get in, go to the aisles I know to grab what I need and get out of the store so I can go do fun things. But Microsoft keeps rearranging its aisles and moving its products around, changing packaging, etc. They want to keep me in their store, wandering around, trying to figure out their new stuff, etc. By the time I get out of their store (or learn their new products/looks/etc.) I'm exhausted and I don't want to play anymore.

I just want to write a letter to my friend and send her photos of my garden and tell her what ratio of fertilizer is needed per square foot (calculated with my knowledge and use of Excel)--which, by the way, I won't even be able to afford new plants OR fertilizer if I sign up for their ridiculous rental fees!

Am I allowed to say that I truly, vehemently hate the new Microsoft rental package ideas which, to my way of thinking are sort of like those gang neighborhood protection thugs you've read about? You pay them or else Microsoft will incapacitate all the work you've created--sort of like the thugs who will take a baseball bat to your kneecaps if you don't pay?

I totally understand if you need to delete my ranting post so no worries about that. I just needed to rant about Microsoft to someone who would understand. So thank you for listening.