View Single Post

Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 AM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows 10 Office 2013

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordnew View Post
Dear Charles Kenyon,
thank you very much for your reply to my thread.

I tried the method you have kindly suggested but the columns remain fixed sized in this method. I mean i can change their width but that width remains for all other words. I am rather looking for a solution which will make my layout like in the image examples i have posted in my first post.

In the examples that I have posted there are no fixed columns for words and meanings. Some times is the meaning longer and sometimes the word takes more place than the word befor it. And my task is to get to that solution where for each word and its meaning there is no fixed width.

The original word file of my dictionary has over 1500 pages. My hope is that i can find an automated solution for the whole file, after which my layout looks like in one of the example images i have posted in this thread.
Then I would suggest setting right tabs and using the tab to align your text on the right. See Alignment / Justification of Text in Microsoft Word
It is more work than a two-column table but will allow text on the left and right to overlap. This is what is called Flush justification in Wordperfect.

Note that this workaround is imperfect and requires a great deal of manual tweaking.
  • The right tab setting must be inside the right indent or otherwise you can get text running off the page.
  • If text wraps to the next line, it will not be right-aligned but will wrap and fill from the left indent.
  • You can use a manual line break followed by a tab for wrapping text. See below.
00 deleteme 2.png