View Single Post

Old 06-24-2017, 10:26 PM
larry11 larry11 is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

larry11 is on a distinguished road
Default Mail Merge Rules - IF, OR Function to Insert Specific text

Hello and Good Morning,

New to forum, so hello and Good Morning to all!

I was wondering if someone could please offer me some help.

I have a mail merge using Access as a data source and I am doing a merge to an email template I have set up.

I have set up the standard IF "Rules" in the word document where If the merge field = "This" insert "This Text", which works really well; however I have had to add numerous merge fields (over 20) to cover all possible text paragraphs that I may wish to insert although there are only usually 3 or 4 paragraphs that I need to add to each document.

I was wondering if instead of having individual merge fields for each paragraph whether I could have just a few merge fields but set up each paragraph so it would look in any of the mergefields for the "Trigger, basically using "OR" (or some other code/ formula)

So it would be a bit like this:
IF mergefied_1, OR Mergfield_2, OR mergefield_3 = "Yes" "then insert this text which is relevant to yes."

I could then use the same formula with another paragraph;

IF mergefied_1, OR Mergfield_2, OR mergefield_3 = "No" "Then add this text which is relevant to no"

Hopefully I have explained what I am looking for;

I thank you in anticipation of someone offering some much needed guidance!, I have searched the internet and do not seem to be able to find an answer or possible way to do this.

many thanks for your help.