View Single Post

Old 05-22-2017, 07:23 AM
Volle13 Volle13 is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2007
Novice

Volle13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlomgren View Post
Hi, Volle,

I think I understand your problem, but by phonetic guide, do you mean transliteration? For example, next to the best, do you want to have "ichiban"? Or do you mean the Japanese "alphabet"? (Sorry, I know just enough about Japanese to be dangerous.) So next to the best, you have "いちばん"?

I'm guessing here: If "番" is always pronounced the same, and it and other ideographs (?) are repeated a lot, my technique would be to:
1. Copy the Japanese words into another column. (Let's call it the dummy column.)
2. Pick out an ideograph like "番" and let's say it's always pronounced "ban" (or whatever the phonetic spelling is in Japanese).
3. Select the dummy column and then do a search and replace for changing "番" to "ban".
4. Continue with other ideographs that are repeated.

By the way, I would strongly suggest put Japanese kanji (thank you for that word) in one column and the English translation in another. Others might suggest doing this in Excel rather than Word, but my experience with Excel is that it doesn't handle foreign characters (á,Æ,ß,å are a few that I deal with) as easily as Word does.

Let me know if I'm on the right track.
Yes, I do want furigana. However, that will still be quite laborious because I have over 100 (probably even 200) just for the first batch. And the whole thing has at the very least 1000 characters.