View Single Post

Old 11-18-2010, 11:50 AM
erickd erickd is offline Windows 7 Office 2010 (Version 14.0)
Novice

erickd is on a distinguished road
Default issue embedding .xls objects in .ppt file using Office 2010

I am trying to embed Excel .xls file objects that contain VBA code in pages of a .ppt file. Using the menus insert -> object -> from file.

This works fine if I use Powerpoint 2003, but when I try to use Powerpoint 2010 I can get the object inserted but when I try to edit it, I get the following errors:

First in Excel:

"Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost."

Then in PowerPoint:

"Microsoft PowerPoint can't start the application required to open this object. An error occurred and this featue is no longer functioning properly. Would you like to repair this feature now? "

I click "no" as I know the function is fine.

then another PowerPoint error:

"There isn't enough memory available to read Worksheet."

The files are stored on same disk drive.

My troubleshooting so far:
  1. I have set all macro security for both Excel and Powerpoint 2003 and 2010 to none.
  2. I have checked any boxes that state trust VBA objects.
  3. If I insert the .xls object using PowerPoint 2003 on another system and then re-open the ppt file using 2010, I can then edit the .xls object.
  4. If I convert the .xls file to .xlsm, then insert, it will work fine.
  5. PowerPoint 2010 can insert and edit .xls objects that do not contain VBA code.
  6. I set the references in the Powerpoint VB editor to include Excel object library, no change.
  7. I have installed 2003 on the same system as 2010 (Win 7), and it will not work then, even in the 2003 applications.
  8. I have installed 2010 on the Win XP system and it did not work there either.
  9. I tried dragging and dropping the xls file onto the ppt page, that results in 7 of the 'Error accessing file. . ' messages before it inserts the object.
  10. If I insert the object in 2010, then try to edit the object on the 2003 system, I get the same edit errors.
  11. I can create a new Excel 97-2003 worksheet object, then add a macro to it after it is inserted and it will edit fine. It only errors when inserting from file.
To reproduce the problem, open/create a powerpoint file (can be ppt or pptx). Then insert any xls file that contains some VBA code. (any code will work, I recorded "Hello World"). Insert the file as an Excel 97-2003 worksheet object. After the object is inserted, select to edit the worksheet object. That is when the errors will occur.

Windows 7 system details:
OS - Windows 7 64-bit
Office ver - 2010 Professional Plus
Intel core2duo cpu
4GB ram

Windows XP system details:
OS - Windows XP Pro SP3
Office ver - 3002 Standard Edition SP3
Virtual machine on Oracle VM VirtualBox

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Erick