View Single Post

Old 05-05-2017, 06:07 PM
Invisigoth Invisigoth is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2007
Novice

Invisigoth is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Needs Help

Hey all - my Dad just migrated from XP and Outlook Express to Win 7. He needs client e-mail and I assumed he could just move to Outlook. WRONG. I keep getting some of the same errors he was getting in OE at the end, prompting for passwords, etc. Double-checked all the server settings, etc, no joy.

Moved him to Thunderbird. Ok for a bit, now the same crap; wants a 'network' password for outgoing mails. Seems to receive mails ok. Again, nothing works.

Today I figured scrub Office and re-install since I have multiple licenses, and ask him to get used to the g-mail address. NO JOY. When I reinstalled Office, and opened Outlook, it had apparently kept his prior PST file even though I deleted it. Huh? Do I need to delete the whole Users-User Name-App data-Outlook folder and start over? No amount of fiddling with the server config worked. Experimented on a PC I have laying around at my place, did the same thing with his g-mail address and credentials, used my (never-before used and therefore undefiled Outlook) and everything worked flawlessly!

He uses AT & T Yahoo and his domain is @att.net. I wonder if one of two things is happening:

1) An old yahoo e-mail account is 'merging' with his current account and lousing things up. That's why I tried g-mail but the Outlook piece of it may be complicating it.
2) His router (AT & T) is freaking out with the server settings.

No problem logging in directly to att.net web mail. He doesn't like it though. HELP PLEASE

Invisigoth