View Single Post

Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Irimi-Ai Irimi-Ai is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2013
Novice

Irimi-Ai is on a distinguished road
Question how to make sections hidden/appear based on selection in Cont. Ctrl. Drop-down list

Hi all,

First-time poster here, but have read a lot of posts that have gotten me pretty far. However, now I'm stumped. Need help with how to have portions of text (hereafter "sections") appear based on selection from a drop-down list. I can have sections appear by using nested {IF} statements and bookmarks, but can't get past 2 problems:

1) having the section text be hidden until referenced (i.e., document should look blank except for the drop-down box, and once a selection is made the rest of the text sections should appear)
2) retaining Cont. Ctrls. and formatting in the section text

I've seen ideas about these in other posts, but none of them seem to work for me based on enterprise-enforced MS Word restrictions in my work setting. Please see the limitations and strong preferences below:

Limitations:
-Only have access to Word 2013
-The "section" text must retain all formatting exactly (e.g., color-coding, indents, Cont. Ctrl. boxes, tables, etc.)
-The Cont. Ctrls. in the section text must remain functional and cannot be Legacy Forms or Active X.

Strong preferences:
-If at all possible, the section text should remain fully editable (no restricted editing)
-Avoid VBA. 1) I need to be able to make future revisions of the form, but know next to nothing about VBA. 2) In my work setting, VBA will likely be problematic.
-A Cont. Ctrl. drop-down for the initial drop-down (right now it's a Legacy in order to get the "Calculate on exit" function).

Those are preferences, so if the task requires breaking one of those preferences I would still like to know since I *may* be able to have this deployed in my work setting.

Last bit to consider: my work setting may be moving to Office 2016 within a year. Would the task be possible or more easily achieved in Word 2016?

I've attached a sample Word file for what I need (incl.Bookmarks, the drop-down, {IF} statements, etc.). The "A" and "B" text blocks should initially be hidden, but populate when matching selection is picked from the drop-down with all formatting intact and fully editable.

Thank you just for reading all this!!!
Attached Files
File Type: docx Sample.docx (23.6 KB, 49 views)