View Single Post

Old 04-05-2017, 11:03 AM
ugcheleuce ugcheleuce is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2003
Novice

ugcheleuce is on a distinguished road
Default Office 2016, "Your subscription has expired", but refuses to connect

Hello everyone

For a month, I used Office 2016 using a friend's subscription, but then I decided to buy Office 2016/365 myself. I bought it from the Microsoft web site. I accidentally paid twice (poor design of payment portal), and now my subscription is valid until 2019. Then, I installed Office 2016 on my wife's computer, and her installation doesn't complain about having expired. When I log into the Microsoft site, I can see her computer listed as a registered device, but my computer is not listed.

Now, whenever I run an Office 2016 program (e.g. MS Word) I get this message telling me that my subscription has expired, and I have three options: Buy, Enter Key, and Sign In. The "Enter Key" option is for when you have product packaging. So "Sign In" is the option for me, but as soon as I click it, I get a message "We are unable to connect right now. Please check your network and try again later." There is nothing wrong with my network (or... is there?). I have no trouble accessing the internet.

The option given on the Microsoft web site is that one should re-install Office, which I have done twice already (once using the online method and once using the offline installer). When I try to solve the problem via e.g. MS Word > File > Account > Manage Account, the Microsoft web site opens in my default browser where I can log in. The e-mail address shown there is the correct one as well.

What can I do (except use a pirated version, or ask my friend to add me as a device on his subscription again) to make Microsoft know/believe that I am a legal, legitimate user (which I am)?

Thanks
Samuel