View Single Post

Old 04-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Aristeai.of.Diomedes Aristeai.of.Diomedes is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2016
Novice

Aristeai.of.Diomedes is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Can Multilevel Lists be used for numbered section headings following the same style?

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but have a complex question about the Multilevel List Function.

I have a rather large document. It is broken into headings (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, etc.). It also has a number of tables and figures that follow the same heading format, with an additional hyphenated number to differentiate between them (i.e. Table 12.1.1-2, or Figure 12.1.1-2, etc.). Also there is a table of contents that pulls the section headings from the document, so it is important to have the tables and figures listed under the appropriate headings.

I wanted a number format that would follow the section headings (Heading 1, 2, etc.) for both the tables and figures. That way they would update automatically as I amended my document.

So for example, Table 10.2.1-8 would be the eighth table in section 10.2.1, which happens to be followed by some equations and the fourth figure, Figure 10.2.1-4. To do this, I made a multilevel list with TABLE_#1.#2.#3-#4 as the number formatting where #1 is the level number from Level 1 (Heading 1, which is "10" in our example here), and #2 is level 2 (Heading 2, which is sub section "2" in the example), and #3 is level 3, and #4 is the numbering style for the table number).

The problem is that I can only have "Heading 1" and "Heading 2" and so on for one defined multilevel list at a time. So I can have it for TABLE_#1.#2.#3-#4 but not for FIGURE_#1.#2.#3-#4. So if I have it defined for Tables, my Figure 10.2.1-4 would read "Figure 1.1.1-4" as the headings are "being used" in the Tables multilevel list.

So my Tables could be have a correct numeric format, but the Figures wouldn't follow the heading numbers, or visa versa.

Is there a way to change the multilevel list so that both the tables and figures use the same section headings?

Or does anybody know of a different way to set up their multilevel list definition to incorporate headings, figures, tables, appendices, etc.?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Navagation Pane.JPG (22.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Multilevel List.jpg (99.5 KB, 23 views)