Thread: [Solved] actuals vs estimates
View Single Post

Old 11-10-2010, 12:53 PM
projectman projectman is offline Windows XP Office 2003
Novice

projectman is on a distinguished road
Default actuals vs estimates

hello,
I am new to project. I have been reading information but I am still unable to get my project to display what I want. what I want to do seems pretty easy but I have been struggling for awhile to get this to work.

I want to be able able to track estimate vs actual.

I am tracking the progress of development tickets for the developers that I am working with. I am using summary tasks with sub tasks for "development" and "testing". I have a ticket and I have a estimate start date, and estimate end date and the estimate development hours. I am using the start, finish, and duration. I am also using the actual start, actual finish and the actual work to track the actual hours.

this is a sample task "development" - est start date 11/01/10 est finish 11/03/10 est hours 24. "testing" est start date 11/04/10 est finish 11/05/10 est hours 16.

now I want to enter the actuals - "development" act start date 11/01/10 act finish 11/02/10 est hours 11.

The problem - the est finish date changes from 11/03/10 to 11/02/10 and the est hours change from 24 to 11. the gant bar for development goes to 100%.

what I want to see is the est start date and the est hours stay at 11/03/10 and 24 hr and the gant bar to show the estimate and the actual data

can someone let me know if this is possible to do this type of tracking in project and if so, what am I doing wrong in that I am not getting the information that I want.