View Single Post

Old 03-03-2017, 12:38 PM
Gwinnett Gwinnett is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2013
Novice

Gwinnett is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Macropod, for the clarification.

I did a test of your suggestion and found that it worked well. The merge output contained all the text and none of the records in the groups were truncated.

A couple of notes,

1. How to create a record that contains more than 255 characters? I used Word to create placeholder text (=Rand(1,4)) that ensured I would have sufficient text for the dummy record. See attached.

2. At first, I entered the dummy data in the first cell of the first column (Section) in the Excel sheet. That placement did not result in the proper output. I still had truncated cells in the output tables.

I am guessing that is because my merge code uses Key 1 (Mergefield Section) to group the records. Because my merge code uses Col A header as my Key 1 (Section), the placeholder text was appearing in the Key 1 mergefield and Key 2 mergefield (Question). See thread above for the merge code that I used.

3. When I put the placeholder text in the Key 2 (Question) field, the merge output was correct. See attached.

Inserting a dummy record in the first row of the Excel sheet is certainly easier than connecting to DDE files.

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: png =Rand(1,4).PNG (36.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: png Mailmerge FAQs Excel DumbRec.PNG (30.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: png Mailmerge FAQs Placeholder DumbRec.PNG (36.3 KB, 26 views)