View Single Post

Old 02-21-2017, 08:10 AM
John_G John_G is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2010 32bit
Novice

John_G is on a distinguished road
Default Word 2013 is crashing when used with Access 2013

This is a duplicate post of one I put on AccessForums.net.
It's a bit long, so please see the details here

http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=63954

Briefly, the problem is this. I have an MS Access application which in Office 2010 uses VBA to:
  1. Open an existing MS Word document to use as a template (it is a normal MS word document, though). The structure is a "header" area at the top ("header" only in the sense that it is not in a table), followed by a table of one or more rows. The table initially contains one row, which has a bookmark in column 1. I do it this way because the nature of the application is such that there will always be at least one row in the table.
  2. Navigates through the document header using existing bookmarks, adding information from the database
  3. adds document details to the table, adding the second and subsequent rows if required
  4. saves the completed document to a specified location with a file name derived from the file contents and date
  5. closes MS Word
In Access 2010 (and earlier), this works fine. The database user does not have to interact with MS Word at all.

However, in Office 2013 it fails at step 3. But it is not a normal failure - MS Word crashes with the message that it has encountered a problem and needs to close. It does not give any kind of run-time error.

I can isolate the line where the problem occurs in my VBA code (I think), but I can't fix it because I don't what's wrong. It worked fine before.

I am hoping that there is an MS Office technical guru in here who, if you don't know specifically what is wrong, can point me in the right direction to find a solution.

IMO, it is an installation or configuration problem, but who knows.

Thanks in advance!!