View Single Post

Old 02-08-2017, 08:58 AM
ClaireB ClaireB is offline Mac OS X Office for Mac 2011
Advanced Beginner

ClaireB is on a distinguished road

Thank you for sticking with me. I did delete the extra carriage return icon and got the page number and title on the same line at least. But a problem persists...

I know the problem is with styles. I have 34 different styles set for this book (headings, index, footnote, endnote, note references, block quote, running heads [even & odd], glossary, author, etc., etc., etc.). They worked just fine a couple of years ago and the book turned out great. Now when I'm trying to incorporate a new chapter (written in a separate document, without the styles applied) I'm having trouble.

The style for "running head, even page" is supposed to have a centered title and the page number in the upper left corner of the page. The style for "running head, odd page" is supposed to have a different centered title and the page number in the upper right. But each time I try to modify the style it applies to both the even and odd page alike.

I know it's something obvious that I'm not seeing!
Thanks for the links. The refresger on styles, with your notes, was especially helpful.

CORRECTION: When I modify the style the position of the page number (right or left) stays the same on both even and odd, but the differing text is appropriate / correct. The problem is that the page number is supposed to be on the left for even pages; on the right for odd.