View Single Post

Old 10-25-2010, 02:12 PM
BLM1234 BLM1234 is offline Windows Vista Office 2007
Novice

BLM1234 is on a distinguished road

Yay, I finally completely get and understand what you are saying, and I am able to delete "categories" (I'm still calling them that) using styles. Only one problem left (it's always something, isn't it?).

Once again, I still think that MS Word would be improved with the categories tool that I suggested earlier, because although styles do work for what we've been talking about, it's a little complex (at least for me) and more importantly, it has at least one big drawback, as I'm finding out now.

Alright, so I can make different styles that all look the same and select the specific section of text that I manually label as a specific style by right-clicking on that style in the menu and selecting all of that style. Good and all, but I want to take that further. Styles are just that, a style. When you use a style, everything in that style looks the same. If the style is underlined, everything in that style will be underlined, bold will be bold, etc. What if the selection I want is partially underlined, and partially not? And partially bold and partially not? And some text is blue, and some is highlighted? Going back to the recipes document, styles still don't seem to work in this regard because if I make the style "meats", then ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING in that section has to be the exact same style. It's either all underlined or none of it is. Now yes, I could make two styles, one for "meats - underlined", and one for "meats - normal", but then I also may need to add "meats - bold", and "meats - underlined and bold", the list goes on. It defeats the entire purpose, which was to save me time. Once again, I think that the only real solution would be a category manager. Does any other program (i.e OpenOffice, Adobe Acrobat, etc.) have any similar feature to what I'm looking for?

It feels like I keep asking for more and more, but then I think about it, and the biggest factor in adding features to a program is user demand, so hopefully I'm doing Microsoft a favor by pushing the limits of their program, even if it's not in a particularly interesting way. If indeed it turns out that I can't do what I'd like, I'm definitely going to let Microsoft know what I'd like in their next revision.