View Single Post

Old 10-09-2016, 10:13 PM
Tammy Tammy is offline Windows 10 Office 2016
Novice

Tammy is on a distinguished road
Default Wanting to use checkboxes etc in a TOC to delete specific pages in a 300 page document

Hi All,

I thought my knowledge of MS Word was vast until I tried to figure out my latest dilemma.

I have a 300 page master document/template. At and given time up to five people may use the template to create their own document and delete the page(s) that they do not need. Finding and deleting the pages not required is cumbersome, even with using the ctrl+click from the TOC or the GOTO PAGE... shortcuts. Trying to find a better/easier solution.

The document is a master template for Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) and consists of:

Page 1 is the title/cover page.
Page 2 is the TOC (created using the 'Heading 1' Style)
Page 3 and 7 are standard
Page 8 - 300 are tabulated and/or paragraphs of text on a single page or over multiple pages, depending on the length of text under the heading.

As an example: I need to delete the pages with headings:
'Using Portable Ladders' (starting on page 11 and finishing on page 13) and
'Erecting and Using Scaffolds' (starting on page 35 and finishing on page 40)

I currently click the TOC reference and select all text on the pages to be deleted and press delete; go back to the TOC and repeat until all headings and their text have been deleted.

FYI: other avenues tried are to have each heading/SWMS in its own document and print to PDF and one document for only the SWMS required. This too had its own issues and decided one master was better.

-------------------------------------------------
What I would like to do is have the headings in the TOC each with their own checkbox, with a tick (denotes keep/included) then click to change to a cross (denotes delete/not included). Which will then go to that heading and delete the heading and associated pages.

Perhaps macros, cross referencing, bookmarks - I cant find a method to suit what I am trying to achieve.

Hopefully someone else has encountered similar issues and has found a solution.

Many thanks in advance.
Tammy