View Single Post

Old 10-09-2016, 12:50 AM
Kokopelli Kokopelli is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Novice

Kokopelli is on a distinguished road
Default How keep target text format when copying from other source?

When I have carefully created a table in an Excel 2010 and formatted each column just like I want it and then copy text from, say, an internet site, the formatting is changed to that of the source.

I use the <Ctrl-C>+<Ctrl-V> method as it is, to me, both quicker and more elegant. I know that were I to left-click in the cell, I would get the pasting options but for my needs that is too cumbersome and time-consuming.

Also, I have once found the correct setting years ago, and it worked pefectly for a long time - then my old machine conked out, I had to buy another one, reinstall Office 2010, only to find that I had forgotten how/where to find this setting.

I routinely, for a specific job that I do monthly, copy text of different formats, some words in the form of internet links, and then paste them into my carefully formatted spreadsheet.

This obviously wreaks havoc on my formatting and there is much work involved in setting things straight again - hardly a productive way to do it. Here's how it comes out now:

and here's how I would of course want it to be:

Like I say, I used to know how to do this so I know it is possible. Seems like it was somewhere in File/Options, I just can't find it.

Thank you.