View Single Post

Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM
ualjarhead ualjarhead is offline Windows 7 Office 2010 (Version 14.0)
Novice

ualjarhead is on a distinguished road
Default Mystery Notes Folder in Outlook 2010

Greetings smart people.

I have a weird thing happening with my new installation of Outlook 2010. My computer crashed last month, and I just restored all of my files and data to my new laptop. I also installed Outlook 2010. I sync it to my company Exchange Server. I also have accumulated a small collection of Notes that I reference from time to time.

I noticed that there was no "Notes" folder visible in the folder list ... so I tried to make one. I got a message that "A folder with this name already exists." ... so I made one called "Notes1." If I click on the "Notes (Ctrl+5)" icon on the bottom of the Navigation Pane, I can see the new "Notes1" folder, plain as day, but no "Notes" folder. Besides the fact that I cannot see the "Notes" folder anywhere on the Navigation Pane, there are other two weird things going on:

1) I have a cool little iPhone App called iMNotes that syncs notes between Outlook and my iPhone. Works over the air via the exchange server, very cool. I created a few notes ... they showed as "synced" ... but they don't show up in my Notes1 folder.

2) I discovered that if I right-click on the "Notes (Ctrl+5)" icon and select "Open in new window" ... TaDa!! ... the actual "Notes" folder opens up, along with the newly-synced notes I created on my iPhone.

So, the usual "Notes" folder is there ... it syncs with Exchange Server ... but it is completely stealth until I "Open in new window." As an aside, if I select a note and select "Move" on the menu bar, both the Notes and Notes1 folder show up as options.

Long story short ... where the heck is my Notes folder, and why can't I see/use it in the normal Outlook 2010 window?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. And thanks in advance for the suggestions.Greetings smart people.

I have a weird thing happening with my new installation of Outlook 2010. My computer crashed last month, and I just restored all of my files and data to my new laptop. I also installed Outlook 2010. I sync it to my company Exchange Server. I also have accumulated a small collection of Notes that I reference from time to time.

I noticed that there was no "Notes" folder visible in the folder list ... so I tried to make one. I got a message that "A folder with this name already exists." ... so I made one called "Notes1." If I click on the "Notes (Ctrl+5)" icon on the bottom of the Navigation Pane, I can see the new "Notes1" folder, plain as day, but no "Notes" folder. Besides the fact that I cannot see the "Notes" folder anywhere on the Navigation Pane, there are other two weird things going on:

1) I have a cool little iPhone App called iMNotes that syncs notes between Outlook and my iPhone. Works over the air via the exchange server, very cool. I created a few notes ... they showed as "synced" ... but they don't show up in my Notes1 folder.

2) I discovered that if I right-click on the "Notes (Ctrl+5)" icon and select "Open in new window" ... TaDa!! ... the actual "Notes" folder opens up, along with the newly-synced notes I created on my iPhone.

So, the usual "Notes" folder is there ... it syncs with Exchange Server ... but it is completely stealth until I "Open in new window." As an aside, if I select a note and select "Move" on the menu bar, both the Notes and Notes1 folder show up as options.

Long story short ... where the heck is my Notes folder, and why can't I see/use it in the normal Outlook 2010 window?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. And thanks in advance for the suggestions.

UALJarhead