View Single Post

Old 08-23-2016, 12:26 AM
macropod macropod is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit
Administrator

macropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Murphy View Post
I found another document with a Count formula at the bottom of a column that had empty cells and it still worked. I've attach a simplified version of that document.
That's as expected - empty cells are counted.
Quote:
It appears that you are correct about numbers, but not about text
Your table1 A3 confirms what I said - cells containing only text are not counted - they are treated as empty. By way of clarification, as soon as one of the cells to be counted contains a number, any non-numeric cells are ignored. It's more complicated than that too - any blanks above a numeric cell will cause the 'ABOVE' argument to function incorrectly. Try, for example, inserting numbers into cells D2, D5 & D7 of table A1, then updating the formula in D8.
Quote:
This result makes no sense to me. What possible use could this have?
The ways of MS are sometimes inscrutable...