View Single Post

Old 08-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Sgt Rock Sgt Rock is offline Windows 8 Office 2010 64bit
Novice

Sgt Rock is on a distinguished road
Default Possible to use Mail Merge for a One to Many?

Thanks for your politeness Graham, in responding to my questions. Please remember though, that while something may be crystal clear to you and other "gurus on here, most of us are not on your level of expertise and understanding of Microsoft Office products.

I have tried to follow several Microsoft articles on "how to use mail merge to create a list sorted by category in Word (article 211303)." I think now category = directory? I have tried the sample code, but ALL THE ARTICLES, at least the ones I've seen, make no mention what steps to do after you finish typing in the Field Code.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Excel workbook with data is closed and you are in a blank Word document. The steps I am now following are:
Mailings > Start Mail Merge > Directory > Select Recipients > Find Excel workbook, double left click, and click worksheet the data is on > OK using Ctrl+F9 insert braces and code in between the braces. After code is entered, then what?

If possible, I would like to have a separate Word Document for each company with multiple lines of information for that company, say names of chemicals. Understand the concept of using IF's but cannot get code to work. My key field would be a company identification number. If I can just find a good example of code, that tells me what to do after the code is typed in, I think(?) I can accomplish.

Then, possibly VBA(?) attached each document to an email generated from Email merge.

If I do accomplish, I would be most happy to share with other. I can do "normal" email merge now pretty efficiently. Did learn though, make doubly sure Track changes are off, as well as mark-ups, or they'll transfer over to your email message!
Major Egg on Face!!

Thanks in Advance,
Mort in Dallas