View Single Post

Old 07-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline Windows 8 Office 2013

Charles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant futureCharles Kenyon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by emomobile View Post

I looked into the StyleRef field thing. From what I can understand, that takes text from the page, that you manually tag with a bit of code and puts it into the header. The problem is that while I may want my header to say "Section 1.2.1 - Smoke Inhalation" it doesn't necessarily say that on the page anywhere for the StyleRef to draw from. Plus to be honest... That all seems a bit over my head.
StyleRef is commonly used with headings or captions. What it displays, normally, is text in that style on the current page (or closest preceding page). So, once it is there, it is there until changed. You can use a Character style (that doesn't look any different) to tag things for this as well.

So, if you have a Heading 3 style heading that says "1.2.1 - Smoke Inhalation" you can use a StyleRef field to pick that up. It will continue as that until something else using Heading 3 appears in your document. To cancel it, you would need an empty paragraph formatted using Heading 3.

You are asking for fairly complex behavior from Word. That means that you may have to learn how to get it to do that. It isn't hard, but it may take a bit of time and experimentation.