View Single Post

Old 06-04-2016, 10:03 AM
BobBridges BobBridges is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 32bit
Expert

BobBridges has a spectacular aura aboutBobBridges has a spectacular aura about

Hi, Matrix. I can add new information: It doesn't depend on which forum, after all, apparently. My current hypothesis is that it's based on the length of my post; short posts work fine, longer ones have the problem. Or something in the longer posts... This reply is working fine, but something I just sent cassie in the Excel-programming forum blanked out the Message text box while previewing.

I'll try some of your suggestions (I may be unwilling to switch browsers) and see what happens. I currently stay pretty busy with two clients, and don't get back here very often - as you may have noticed - so if no one else is complaining it may not be worth much of your attention.

[This just in:] Aha! I just found the problem, or at least one trigger of it. I use 'em' dashes, inserting them using the <Alt-0151> code from my keyboard. I used them in the paragraph above, and the message text blanked out; I changed them to hyphens and it's back. Perhaps other special characters will do that too....Yes, it appears that any character not in the lower 127 will cause the problem. At least I know now how to get around it, though not why it's necessary. Some update in vBulletin, I suppose. I'll see whether I can report it to them.