Microsoft Office Forums

Go Back   Microsoft Office Forums > Microsoft Office > Project

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Project Server 2003 SP2

Hi There,

we decided to be one of the early adopters, and as such i upgraded our
EPM
system to SP2 level last-night. the problem is that now we are getting

errors on any views in the Resource Centre that contain a filter based
on the
Resource Type Field. The error states:

"An error ocurred while trying to access the resources stored in the
database. Either there are too many resources, or the Project Server
may not
have the correct DSN configuration. Contact the Server Administrator."

In the eventlog the only errors that seem to be related here is:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Project Server Tracing Eventlog Provider
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2
Date: 2005/09/28
Time: 11:04:56 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: EPMSERVER
Description:
File: C:\Office\devsp\project\WebClient\source\utility\p jadorsutil2.cpp
Line: 317


Error Number: 0x80040e14
Description: <Description><![CDATA[Assert Detected. The error code was
also
included.]]></Description>
___________________________________

Component: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Description: <Description><![CDATA[Invalid column name
'ResourceType'.]]></Description>



The error seems to indicate that the column does not exist, but as far
as i
can see (with some investigation using SQL Profiler and Query analyzer)
the
column does indeed show up in the table MSP_VIEW_RES_STD table.

I have tried the upgrade on a different system, with a backup of our DB
and
the same error still occurs.

What may be the problem here?

Thanks!

--
www.fulcrumgroup.co.za
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Renke Holert [MVP]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

Hi,

did you upgrade all: Project Server, the database and WSS Integration?

Regards from Redmond

Renke Holert

Allocatus - Linking MS Project with Outlook and Notes
http://www.allocatus.com

Project - Das Profibuch
http://www.holert.com/project/profibuch
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

Yes i upgraded all 3 components.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Rolly Perreaux
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

Quote:
Yes i upgraded all 3 components.
Have you off-loaded any of the Project Server machine configurations?

Such as Views Processing, Session Manager and Front-End on separate
machines? Or even a 2-way or 3-way database partition on a separate SQL
Server?

Plus the Service Pack needs to be installed in the following order:

1. SQL Server --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-SQLFile-ENU.exe
2. Project Server --> ProjectServer2003SP2-KB887621-FullFile-ENU.exe
3. WSS (templates) --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-WSSFILE-ENU.exe

Let us know how it turns out

--
Rolly Perreaux, PMP
Project Server Trainer/Consultant

IT Summit Series
Advanced Microsoft Technology Training
http://www.itsummitseries.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Gaurav Wason
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

Did you tried recreating the new view with the same filter.

Let me know.
--
Gaurav Wason
gwason@gmail.com
MCP - Project Server


"Rolly Perreaux" wrote:

Quote:
In article <1127973673.888546.319200@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups .com>,
demongp@gmail.com says...
Yes i upgraded all 3 components.

Have you off-loaded any of the Project Server machine configurations?

Such as Views Processing, Session Manager and Front-End on separate
machines? Or even a 2-way or 3-way database partition on a separate SQL
Server?

Plus the Service Pack needs to be installed in the following order:

1. SQL Server --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-SQLFile-ENU.exe
2. Project Server --> ProjectServer2003SP2-KB887621-FullFile-ENU.exe
3. WSS (templates) --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-WSSFILE-ENU.exe

Let us know how it turns out

--
Rolly Perreaux, PMP
Project Server Trainer/Consultant

IT Summit Series
Advanced Microsoft Technology Training
http://www.itsummitseries.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Nico Oosthuysen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

Hi Rolly, and thanks for replying:

"Have you off-loaded any of the Project Server machine configurations?

Such as Views Processing, Session Manager and Front-End on separate
machines? Or even a 2-way or 3-way database partition on a separate SQL
Server?

Plus the Service Pack needs to be installed in the following order:

1. SQL Server --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-SQLFile-ENU.exe
2. Project Server --> ProjectServer2003SP2-KB887621-FullFile-ENU.exe
3. WSS (templates) --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-WSSFILE-ENU.exe

Let us know how it turns out "
No, the server is a 2 server installation, with SQL on the one machine
and Sharepoint and Project Server 2003 on the other one. I performed
the installation as you described above - in that precise order.

Hi Gaurav:

"Did you tried recreating the new view with the same filter.

Let me know. "

Yes, i indeed did try that. I deleted the old view and created a new
on with the Resource Type filter and got precisely the same error.

Thanks for replying so far, folks. I do not think, however, that this
is something as simple as that, and it may even be strictly related to
our enviroment only. I would actually like to know as well whether you
guys have deployed SP2 in all seriousness yet, and have you had any
issues?

Thanks
Nico
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Ray
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

I just installed SP2 and ran into the same error. I installed in the
correct order, but when I went in and deleted a filter I had on the
View and saved my changes, it worked correctly. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Ray

Nico Oosthuysen wrote:
Quote:
Hi Rolly, and thanks for replying:

"Have you off-loaded any of the Project Server machine configurations?

Such as Views Processing, Session Manager and Front-End on separate
machines? Or even a 2-way or 3-way database partition on a separate SQL
Server?

Plus the Service Pack needs to be installed in the following order:

1. SQL Server --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-SQLFile-ENU.exe
2. Project Server --> ProjectServer2003SP2-KB887621-FullFile-ENU.exe
3. WSS (templates) --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-WSSFILE-ENU.exe

Let us know how it turns out "
No, the server is a 2 server installation, with SQL on the one machine
and Sharepoint and Project Server 2003 on the other one. I performed
the installation as you described above - in that precise order.

Hi Gaurav:

"Did you tried recreating the new view with the same filter.

Let me know. "

Yes, i indeed did try that. I deleted the old view and created a new
on with the Resource Type filter and got precisely the same error.

Thanks for replying so far, folks. I do not think, however, that this
is something as simple as that, and it may even be strictly related to
our enviroment only. I would actually like to know as well whether you
guys have deployed SP2 in all seriousness yet, and have you had any
issues?

Thanks
Nico
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Nico Oosthuysen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

Hi Ray,

Was the filter you had based on Resource Type? If so, can you now
create views using a Resource Type Filter? I also managed to remove
the view and create a new one that did not have the Resource Type
filter with no problems. Howerver, when i again try to filter on Type
i get the error again.

Regards,
Nico
Ray wrote:
Quote:
I just installed SP2 and ran into the same error. I installed in the
correct order, but when I went in and deleted a filter I had on the
View and saved my changes, it worked correctly. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Ray

Nico Oosthuysen wrote:
Hi Rolly, and thanks for replying:

"Have you off-loaded any of the Project Server machine configurations?

Such as Views Processing, Session Manager and Front-End on separate
machines? Or even a 2-way or 3-way database partition on a separate SQL
Server?

Plus the Service Pack needs to be installed in the following order:

1. SQL Server --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-SQLFile-ENU.exe
2. Project Server --> ProjectServer2003SP2-KB887621-FullFile-ENU.exe
3. WSS (templates) --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-WSSFILE-ENU.exe

Let us know how it turns out "
No, the server is a 2 server installation, with SQL on the one machine
and Sharepoint and Project Server 2003 on the other one. I performed
the installation as you described above - in that precise order.

Hi Gaurav:

"Did you tried recreating the new view with the same filter.

Let me know. "

Yes, i indeed did try that. I deleted the old view and created a new
on with the Resource Type filter and got precisely the same error.

Thanks for replying so far, folks. I do not think, however, that this
is something as simple as that, and it may even be strictly related to
our enviroment only. I would actually like to know as well whether you
guys have deployed SP2 in all seriousness yet, and have you had any
issues?

Thanks
Nico
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Gary L. Chefetz [MVP]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

Guys:

This smacks of an indexing problem in the database. Are you all seeing the
same APP event log errors? Please post a response quickly as we MVPs are in
Redmond today, and maybe we can get to the bottom of it quickly. Thanks.

--


Gary L. Chefetz, MVP
"We wrote the books on Project Server"
http://www.msprojectexperts.com

For Project Server FAQs visit
http://www.projectserverexperts.com

For Project FAQs visit
http://www.mvps.org/project


"Nico Oosthuysen" <demongp@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1128056371.750110.86680@g49g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
Quote:
Hi Ray,

Was the filter you had based on Resource Type? If so, can you now
create views using a Resource Type Filter? I also managed to remove
the view and create a new one that did not have the Resource Type
filter with no problems. Howerver, when i again try to filter on Type
i get the error again.

Regards,
Nico
Ray wrote:
I just installed SP2 and ran into the same error. I installed in the
correct order, but when I went in and deleted a filter I had on the
View and saved my changes, it worked correctly. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Ray

Nico Oosthuysen wrote:
Hi Rolly, and thanks for replying:

"Have you off-loaded any of the Project Server machine configurations?

Such as Views Processing, Session Manager and Front-End on separate
machines? Or even a 2-way or 3-way database partition on a separate SQL
Server?

Plus the Service Pack needs to be installed in the following order:

1. SQL Server --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-SQLFile-ENU.exe
2. Project Server --> ProjectServer2003SP2-KB887621-FullFile-ENU.exe
3. WSS (templates) --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-WSSFILE-ENU.exe

Let us know how it turns out "
No, the server is a 2 server installation, with SQL on the one machine
and Sharepoint and Project Server 2003 on the other one. I performed
the installation as you described above - in that precise order.

Hi Gaurav:

"Did you tried recreating the new view with the same filter.

Let me know. "

Yes, i indeed did try that. I deleted the old view and created a new
on with the Resource Type filter and got precisely the same error.

Thanks for replying so far, folks. I do not think, however, that this
is something as simple as that, and it may even be strictly related to
our enviroment only. I would actually like to know as well whether you
guys have deployed SP2 in all seriousness yet, and have you had any
issues?

Thanks
Nico
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Microsoft Project
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

Thanks to Gary's help in providing me with a database that reproduces the
problem, I have been able to identify the problem and also a workaround.

This issue is definitely new to SP2 and is a result of a performance fix
that was made for better support of a split database deployment.

The basic problem is that the query that populates the Resource Center view
now creates a temp DB but instead of having ALL fields available, it only
includes those that are defined for the view. The query also filters the
results. But, if the field that's in the filter doesn't also exist in the
table, then the failure occurs. The "simple" workaround for now is to add
the particular field(s) to the view. You can add them at the end (right
side) and set their widths = 1 so that users generally won't even notice
they are there.

Sorry for the problem.

Regards,

Adrian Jenkins
Microsoft Project


"Gary L. Chefetz [MVP]" <gary AT chefetz DOT org> wrote in message
news:eV4T42bxFHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Quote:
Guys:

This smacks of an indexing problem in the database. Are you all seeing the
same APP event log errors? Please post a response quickly as we MVPs are
in
Redmond today, and maybe we can get to the bottom of it quickly. Thanks.

--


Gary L. Chefetz, MVP
"We wrote the books on Project Server"
http://www.msprojectexperts.com

For Project Server FAQs visit
http://www.projectserverexperts.com

For Project FAQs visit
http://www.mvps.org/project


"Nico Oosthuysen" <demongp@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1128056371.750110.86680@g49g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
Hi Ray,

Was the filter you had based on Resource Type? If so, can you now
create views using a Resource Type Filter? I also managed to remove
the view and create a new one that did not have the Resource Type
filter with no problems. Howerver, when i again try to filter on Type
i get the error again.

Regards,
Nico
Ray wrote:
I just installed SP2 and ran into the same error. I installed in the
correct order, but when I went in and deleted a filter I had on the
View and saved my changes, it worked correctly. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Ray

Nico Oosthuysen wrote:
Hi Rolly, and thanks for replying:

"Have you off-loaded any of the Project Server machine
configurations?

Such as Views Processing, Session Manager and Front-End on separate
machines? Or even a 2-way or 3-way database partition on a separate
SQL
Server?

Plus the Service Pack needs to be installed in the following order:

1. SQL Server --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-SQLFile-ENU.exe
2. Project Server --> ProjectServer2003SP2-KB887621-FullFile-ENU.exe
3. WSS (templates) --> ProjectServer2003-KB887621-WSSFILE-ENU.exe

Let us know how it turns out "
No, the server is a 2 server installation, with SQL on the one
machine
and Sharepoint and Project Server 2003 on the other one. I performed
the installation as you described above - in that precise order.

Hi Gaurav:

"Did you tried recreating the new view with the same filter.

Let me know. "

Yes, i indeed did try that. I deleted the old view and created a new
on with the Resource Type filter and got precisely the same error.

Thanks for replying so far, folks. I do not think, however, that
this
is something as simple as that, and it may even be strictly related
to
our enviroment only. I would actually like to know as well whether
you
guys have deployed SP2 in all seriousness yet, and have you had any
issues?

Thanks
Nico

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Nico Oosthuysen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

Thanks for the feedback Adrian.

I am interested in what your guys' road ahead is with this - are there
any plans for releasing a hotfix for this?

Sorry for being a pain - I am not asking just for myself however, i
look after a couple of big installations :)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Microsoft Project
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

At this point, no decisions have been made on how to address the issue
though a hotfix is a very possible option.

Regards,

Adrian Jenkins
Microsoft Project

"Nico Oosthuysen" <demongp@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1128458924.092942.140790@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Adrian.

I am interested in what your guys' road ahead is with this - are there
any plans for releasing a hotfix for this?

Sorry for being a pain - I am not asking just for myself however, i
look after a couple of big installations :)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-25-2005, 06:11 AM
Todd Hutchisnon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

I get this right after the login page..

Microsoft JScript runtime error '800a138f'

'null' is null or not an object

/ProjectServer/Shell/Shell.asp, line 529


In the event log I see the same thing you mentioned-

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Project Server Tracing Eventlog Provider
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2
Date: 10/25/2005
Time: 12:54:43 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: PROJECT
Description:
Component: PjQuery
File:
C:\Office\devsp\project\WebClient\source\server\pj query\PjGenericQuery.cpp
Line: 1073
Error Number: 0x80040e14
Description: <Description><![CDATA[Assert Detected for Virtual Root
'projectserver'. The error code was also included.]]></Description>


This is such a plan Jane install, I'm not using the WSS I've quite suprised
that this wasn't caught in testing. Very suprised. Project is installed on
a virtual machine, so if someone at MS want's me to upload for testing just
ask.

-Todd

"Microsoft Project" wrote:

Quote:
At this point, no decisions have been made on how to address the issue
though a hotfix is a very possible option.

Regards,

Adrian Jenkins
Microsoft Project

"Nico Oosthuysen" <demongp@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1128458924.092942.140790@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
Thanks for the feedback Adrian.

I am interested in what your guys' road ahead is with this - are there
any plans for releasing a hotfix for this?

Sorry for being a pain - I am not asking just for myself however, i
look after a couple of big installations :)


Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Gary L. Chefetz [MVP]
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

Todd:

It sounds as though you haven't installed the service pack correctly. See:

http://www.projectserverexperts.com/...Nullisnull.htm

The application event log error indicates that you also have duplicate
records in the database, most likely assignment records. This is a different
issue than the service pack issue.

--


Gary L. Chefetz, MVP
"We wrote the books on Project Server"
http://www.msprojectexperts.com

For Project Server FAQs visit
http://www.projectserverexperts.com

For Project FAQs visit
http://www.mvps.org/project


"Todd Hutchisnon" <Todd Hutchisnon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0286798E-F966-47C5-8B0A-52E1E9788DAE@microsoft.com...
Quote:
I get this right after the login page..

Microsoft JScript runtime error '800a138f'

'null' is null or not an object

/ProjectServer/Shell/Shell.asp, line 529


In the event log I see the same thing you mentioned-

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Project Server Tracing Eventlog Provider
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2
Date: 10/25/2005
Time: 12:54:43 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: PROJECT
Description:
Component: PjQuery
File:
C:\Office\devsp\project\WebClient\source\server\pj query\PjGenericQuery.cpp
Line: 1073
Error Number: 0x80040e14
Description: <Description><![CDATA[Assert Detected for Virtual Root
'projectserver'. The error code was also included.]]></Description


This is such a plan Jane install, I'm not using the WSS I've quite
suprised
that this wasn't caught in testing. Very suprised. Project is installed
on
a virtual machine, so if someone at MS want's me to upload for testing
just
ask.

-Todd

"Microsoft Project" wrote:

At this point, no decisions have been made on how to address the issue
though a hotfix is a very possible option.

Regards,

Adrian Jenkins
Microsoft Project

"Nico Oosthuysen" <demongp@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1128458924.092942.140790@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
Thanks for the feedback Adrian.

I am interested in what your guys' road ahead is with this - are there
any plans for releasing a hotfix for this?

Sorry for being a pain - I am not asking just for myself however, i
look after a couple of big installations :)


Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Todd Hutchisnon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Project Server 2003 SP2

So working before the SP2 install doesn't elimate this?

Also I ran the SQL script from the cmd prompt, ran for like 5 minutes, and
completed without errors. Using the....

Upgdb112.cmd <sql server name> <database name>


-Todd

"Gary L. Chefetz [MVP]" wrote:

Quote:
Todd:

It sounds as though you haven't installed the service pack correctly. See:

http://www.projectserverexperts.com/...Nullisnull.htm

The application event log error indicates that you also have duplicate
records in the database, most likely assignment records. This is a different
issue than the service pack issue.

--


Gary L. Chefetz, MVP
"We wrote the books on Project Server"
http://www.msprojectexperts.com

For Project Server FAQs visit
http://www.projectserverexperts.com

For Project FAQs visit
http://www.mvps.org/project


"Todd Hutchisnon" <Todd Hutchisnon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0286798E-F966-47C5-8B0A-52E1E9788DAE@microsoft.com...
I get this right after the login page..

Microsoft JScript runtime error '800a138f'

'null' is null or not an object

/ProjectServer/Shell/Shell.asp, line 529


In the event log I see the same thing you mentioned-

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Project Server Tracing Eventlog Provider
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2
Date: 10/25/2005
Time: 12:54:43 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: PROJECT
Description:
Component: PjQuery
File:
C:\Office\devsp\project\WebClient\source\server\pj query\PjGenericQuery.cpp
Line: 1073
Error Number: 0x80040e14
Description: <Description><![CDATA[Assert Detected for Virtual Root
'projectserver'. The error code was also included.]]></Description


This is such a plan Jane install, I'm not using the WSS I've quite
suprised
that this wasn't caught in testing. Very suprised. Project is installed
on
a virtual machine, so if someone at MS want's me to upload for testing
just
ask.

-Todd

"Microsoft Project" wrote:

At this point, no decisions have been made on how to address the issue
though a hotfix is a very possible option.

Regards,

Adrian Jenkins
Microsoft Project

"Nico Oosthuysen" <demongp@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1128458924.092942.140790@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
Thanks for the feedback Adrian.

I am interested in what your guys' road ahead is with this - are there
any plans for releasing a hotfix for this?

Sorry for being a pain - I am not asking just for myself however, i
look after a couple of big installations :)





Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Port on Project Server PWA danny_boy328 Project 0 09-25-2007 08:27 AM
Error 9571 when opening Project Server from Project Pro mona Project 0 04-24-2007 07:50 AM
Notification Mail In project server - Plz help urgent myanilkumar Project 0 01-19-2006 05:44 AM
Project Server 2003 - un-checkout enterprise resource SteveGold Office 3 11-28-2005 06:35 PM
Outlook 2003 on Terminal server Larry Stover Outlook 0 11-15-2005 09:38 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
MSOfficeForums.com is not affiliated with Microsoft