Microsoft Office Forums

Go Back   Microsoft Office Forums > Microsoft Office > Outlook

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-05-2010, 11:28 AM
klingenfelter klingenfelter is offline Windows Vista Office 2007
Novice
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
klingenfelter is on a distinguished road
Default Cannot delete folders

In Outlook 2007 all the folders under inbox cannot be deleted. I get a message "Cannot delete this folder. Right-click the folder, and then click properties to check your permissions for the folder. See the folder owner or your administrator to change your permissions. Folder is full."
I am the administrator (the only user of this computer). When I right click on the folder and look at Administration tab the buttons associated with permissions are greyed out.
What do I need to do the delete folders maually added by me under the inbox
Thanks Keith Lingenfelter
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Mophead Mophead is offline Windows 7 Office 2010 (Version 14.0)
Advanced Beginner
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 79
Mophead is on a distinguished road
Default

klingenfelter

Try deleting the folder by pressing Shift button at same time as the Delete button (this acts like a force delete in these situations).

Hope this helps.

Mophead
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2011, 06:04 AM
rvriet rvriet is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Novice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
rvriet is on a distinguished road
Default

this doesn't work: it says the folder is full, even when it is completely empty.

I have had this for a while now, have deleted loads of messages, I can create folders, but not delete them.

I have been searching for mailbox reorganization/compacting options, but to no avail.

pls help
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 AM
bschorr-MVP bschorr-MVP is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Competent Performer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 116
bschorr-MVP is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingenfelter View Post
In Outlook 2007 all the folders under inbox cannot be deleted. I get a message "Cannot delete this folder. Right-click the folder, and then click properties to check your permissions for the folder. See the folder owner or your administrator to change your permissions. Folder is full."
I am the administrator (the only user of this computer). When I right click on the folder and look at Administration tab the buttons associated with permissions are greyed out.
What do I need to do the delete folders maually added by me under the inbox
Thanks Keith Lingenfelter
Can you right-click the folder and move it to Deleted Items?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 AM
rvriet rvriet is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Novice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
rvriet is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschorr-MVP View Post
Can you right-click the folder and move it to Deleted Items?
no, I get the message: Cannot move the items. The folder is full.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 AM
bschorr-MVP bschorr-MVP is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Competent Performer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 116
bschorr-MVP is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvriet View Post
no, I get the message: Cannot move the items. The folder is full.
Have you emptied the Deleted Items folder?

You might need to scan the PST file for corruption. See if this helps: http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outl...ol.htm#SCANPST

Does this happen even if you start Outlook in Safe Mode? (hold down CTRL while you click the icon) See if this helps: http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.htm#safe
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2011, 11:06 AM
rvriet rvriet is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Novice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
rvriet is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschorr-MVP View Post
Have you emptied the Deleted Items folder?

You might need to scan the PST file for corruption. See if this helps: http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outl...ol.htm#SCANPST

Does this happen even if you start Outlook in Safe Mode? (hold down CTRL while you click the icon) See if this helps: http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.htm#safe
Yes, I have emptied the deleted items folder many times.

I have exited Outlook and saved a backup. Weird: mailbox.pst is 1.81 GB, mailbox.backup.pst is 864 MB.

I then started Outlook by <Ctrl> clicking the icon in the task bar, nothing shows that I am safe mode, should it? I now managed to delete two folders and move another folder, but then everything went back to "folder is full".

How can I see which version of .pst file I have?
How can I see I am in safe mode?
Can I simply rename the backup file and start with that one as the mailbox file?

Haven't tried repairing the .pst file yet, find it a bit tricky
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 AM
bschorr-MVP bschorr-MVP is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Competent Performer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 116
bschorr-MVP is on a distinguished road
Default

I would do the repair of the PST file. See if this helps: http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outl...ol.htm#SCANPST
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM
rvriet rvriet is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Novice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
rvriet is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschorr-MVP View Post
I would do the repair of the PST file. See if this helps: http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outl...ol.htm#SCANPST
I did and after about five runs, it said it had gotten rid of all errors.

Still the same: cannot delete or move folders, error message: "folder is full", even though I have <shift>-deleted loads of messages, so there should be ample room in the .pst file.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-04-2011, 07:35 AM
bschorr-MVP bschorr-MVP is offline Windows 7 64bit Office 2010 64bit
Competent Performer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 116
bschorr-MVP is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvriet View Post
I did and after about five runs, it said it had gotten rid of all errors.

Still the same: cannot delete or move folders, error message: "folder is full", even though I have <shift>-deleted loads of messages, so there should be ample room in the .pst file.
It's possible that even after 5 passes of SCANPST that the PST file is just too corrupted.

You might have to create a new PST file, copy only the items you want to keep into it, then set that new PST file to be the default and close/delete the old PST file.

http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.htm
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM
rvriet rvriet is offline Windows XP Office 2007
Novice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
rvriet is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschorr-MVP View Post
You might have to create a new PST file, copy only the items you want to keep into it, then set that new PST file to be the default and close/delete the old PST file.
I'm afraid so, but there si some additional complication: I use Business Contact Manager.

I will first try to go back to a backuped version of a month or so ago that did not behave this way and than add the newer mails in through a new .PST file.

I realize I may run into these issues later again, but I will keep my file a lot smaller from now on.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I delete imported animation? jess PowerPoint 3 06-06-2013 02:41 PM
Cannot delete line adkr Office 1 04-07-2010 09:26 PM
Problem Delete Block? No (Yes) BooBear Word 1 05-12-2009 01:11 AM
how to delete fill-in fields nitinjain121 Word 2 03-05-2009 02:30 PM
Can Access access folders & sub-folders and dig out data? nrg Office 4 06-20-2005 11:09 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
MSOfficeForums.com is not affiliated with Microsoft