View Single Post

Old 05-10-2011, 07:56 PM
macropod macropod is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2007
Administrator

macropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond reputemacropod has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rosie,

Whenever you edit a file in the jpg format, image quality degrades upon saving. Whether that degradation becomes noticeable depends on a number of factors we don't need to discuss here. What matters is whether the final image meets your needs.

In Word, you can insert an image an crop it there. The cropping options allow you to retain or discard the cropped portions. You also have the option of having Word compress the image upon saving. IIRC, that's Word's default setting. Many users find that letting Word compress the images has deleterious effects on the image quality, so it's not something I'd recommend.

When you insert an image by capturing it from another program, all you're likely to get is someting at your current screen resolution. So, unless you're going to scale the imagedown quite a bit in Word, you're likely to find the printed image's quality will be poor. And, invariably, Word has to use it's own algorithms for decising how much compression etc to apply. The lower the compression, the greater the disk space (and better quality) the image will probably require.

Unless you're pressed for disk space, I wouldn't be too concerned about the file size. To insert an image as a link, the process in Word 2007 (PC) is Insert|Picture > Select the picture, then choose the 'Link to File' option from the 'Insert' dropdown. I assume Word 2011 (Mac) will be much the same.
Quote:
I feel very stupid but am beyond embarrassment
LOL - we've all been there.