View Single Post

Old 08-27-2017, 02:23 PM
GreenBoy GreenBoy is offline Windows 7 32bit Office 2010 32bit
Novice

GreenBoy is on a distinguished road
Angry Mail Merge error when using Outlook contacts

Hi
I am not sure if this is an outlook or word issue, so thought I would post it here first.

I am using Office 365 with the latest updates, so am effectively running office 2016 on a 64bit installation of Windows 10.

I am doing this on my personal PC so do not have an exchange server to contend with....

Background

I have after much trial and error managed to set up outlook to connect to a gmail account.

I needed to do this as Outlook would not let me use it without setting up a mail account connection first.

None of my gmail contacts have imported so, I have exported them from Gmail to a CSV and have then imported them into Oulook - all well and good.

Issue

I am trying to run a mail merge initiated from Word, using Outlook for the contacts. I am familiar with Mail Merge and have never had a problem with it in the past (although that was on a works computer using contacts generated in Outlook, and not imported)

When I try to connect to Outlook I get the usual popup asking me to chose the Profile Name - there is only one choice - Outlook.

After this is selected - i get the following error

and this is as far as i can get.

I have done a clean reinstall of office, so its not an installation issue.

Could it be something to do with how / where the contacts have imported into?

Is there something I should set up in Outlook to enable linking from Word - seems unlikely but worth asking.

Is it something I have missed in Words mail merge features - i have tried using both the wizard and manual connections...

and lastly - I have tried running the merge direct to a CSV file and htis works great, and if I run the merge from Outlook this also works ok -so its something to do with word....

I need to sort this as this is taking up a lot of my time - I also want to use Word as the initiator of mail merges as this makes more sense to me... and is how i have been doing things for years...

Any help gratefully appreciated.
GreenBoy

Last edited by GreenBoy; 08-28-2017 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Solved